Sunday, October 4, 2015

Choosing Music for My Media Project


If you haven't already read it, I highly encourage you to read my earlier post, What Is Royalty-Free Music? That post lays the foundation for some of the things discussed in the post below.

I also recommend another earlier post entitled, What is Stock Music? which is found here:
http://drtwaudio.blogspot.com/2015/09/what-is-stock-music.html

As for choosing music for your media project, let's address some common questions in this area:

1. Should I use my own music for my media project?
Let's first define what is considered "your music." If the song or music track is your original composition, then you should be fine. However, if even part of your original includes something that is copyrighted, then you need to get the proper permissions in order to include that. On the other hand, if your music is entirely yours, you should be fine. The next decision to be made is this: Is my music good enough to match the excellence of my media project? That may be a tough one to answer on your own, and I encourage you to get some input from other (objective yet not overly critical) qualified people, just so you know where things stand.

2. My friend makes some great music tracks, and has offered to let me use some of them. Is this ok?
This is in some ways similar to the decision about your own music, except that it's a bit more complex. Once you begin to use someone else's music, there needs to be some sort of agreement, just so that things don't become problematic later. Sometimes a simple gentlemen's agreement is sufficient. However, if your project becomes wildly popular and begins to bring in lots of money for you, then your friend may begin to see the original agreement differently. Worst case, you'd hate to have to pull down a great project simply because your friend suddenly changed his mind on things. Even between friends, contracts created up front are helpful and wise.

3. Can I reuse stock music for other projects?
Probably. More specifically, you can reuse a given audio track as long as the purchase agreement or license says so. For many stock music tracks bought from the web, reuse is just fine, and no one will care, at least from a legal perspective. In most cases, the only thing you can't do is resell that audio track in its original form, separate from its role in your media project. Note: If you licensed a track for a specific need (say, pressing 1,000 CDs) then you will want to be careful how you proceed. Your next project might need a separate purchase of the same audio track, depending on the agreements involved. When in doubt, check the fine print and/or ask the seller site's support crew.

Speaking of stock music sites, I'd love to have you check out my music on the popular site AudioJungle. http://audiojungle.net/user/drtimwaters/portfolio?utf8=%E2%9C%93&order_by=sales

I also have sites of my own that feature royalty-free music tracks, so please drop by!
And feel free to email me if you'd like, at drtimwaters @ gmail.com. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment